[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 on eBay

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 00:12:42 EDT 2006

michael
  if it was on stands i'd feel better too. sitting on blocks kinda tells me somethings wrong with its hull. it seems that viewing from the other side of the fence isnt going to tell you much either. come back. john b (texas)

"Michael D. Weisner" <mweisner at ebsmed.com> wrote:
  Hi John,

I am located about 40 minutes from Pt Jeff. I would be happy to go over
and take a look at it, although the ad states that the boat is not viewable.
As you have noticed, it appears that the hull is as good at keeping water in
as out (major water stains on the wood below the cushions in the cabin.)
Hopefully, the cabin sole and supports are not rotted out, although,
replacement is a lot of work but not impossible.

"Boat was last used 8 months ago." Christmas sailing on the LI Sound is
pretty chilly ... Most likely it hasn't been sailed in a while.

The ad says that there is Roller Furling and Roller Furling Main Sail. I am
not sure, but the mast looks pretty much like my '81 (not IMF). In '81 the
main had "roller reefing" for the main. Stan was just starting to explore
main reefing and it was external to the mast. The furling hardware looks
like a Harken or something for the jenny, I am not sure.

In addition to the need for at least the main sail, there are two important
things missing. The ad says you need a tiller but I don't see any portion
of the rudder components! They probably misplaced the whole assembly. With
some luck, you might be able to find it in the boat yard, somewhere. The
other problem is that there is no trailer. The ad states that you must pick
up the boat in 4 days of the sale. Start looking to rent a trailer from
Stan to bring it home (DAS shipping is probably $1K - $2K for a boat,
depending on distance), unless you plan to float it home (or pay the yard to
store it.)

The hull and deck look OK, although there are no pictures below the
waterline except the bow shots. Without inspection, one cannot tell if
there are any soft spots, holes or other damage.

Probably worth a couple of bucks for your new hobby, for that is just what
an early '80s R22 is. It will keep you very busy for quite a while. If it
is not badly damaged, it may be worth the trouble.

Good luck.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer