[Rhodes22-list] Cleaning bimini canvas

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Sep 1 18:10:12 EDT 2006

Ben:
     Bleach or anything with bleach would not be my first choice.  Do not
use Rummy's super cleaning because it contains bleach.  Bleach has a
tendancy to destroy fabric in addition to make whiter.  Try Oxiclean from
the supermarket or products labeled safe on colors.  Try soaking a few days
first.  If you find a product that is color safe and removes mildew, let us
all know.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
addendum on choices:
Making right choices in gray areas difficult, by Bryan Crenshaw
           Decision making about right and wrong has always been difficult
but never more so than in the complicated world of today.  The problem is
our choices are not always set in clear black and white, but often in
varying shades of gray.+
          On the broader level our nation faces options of which none seem
tenable.  In the military we want to downsize, but don't touch "our" bases.
We want to protect the environment but meet needs of industry. There is
conflict in needs for public services and exercising responsibility in
taxation.Í           When we move to the personal level we find the same
type of conflict.  Every day we are called upon to make choices about the
moral issues of life, about right and wrong.  How do we make such choices?î
           Of course we have the classic guidelines -- the Ten Commandments,
the sermon on the Mount, the Golden Rule.  But even with these we sometimes
find ourselves confused as we deal with gray areas, and have difficulty in
decision making.
           Let me suggest a series of questions which might be helpful as we
seek to make decisions about right and wrong.
           1.  Ask first, "Does it have to be concealed?"  Evil loves
darkness, goodness loves light.  When something is wrong it likes to slip
around in dark corners.  When something is good it can stand the scrutiny of
broad daylight.
           2.  A second question:  "Where does it lead?"  The person who
chooses a path also chooses where that path comes out.  Therefore, one needs
to think not only about a specific act but the direction in which that act
leads.  If the direction is wrong the destination can never be right.®
Young people should be especially sensitive in this area.  So many wrongs
are lightly accepted by society, and it is easy to drift into situations
which bring disaster.
            3.  A third question:  "How does this affect other people?"  We
like to think we live alone and what we do is our business and no one
else's.  This is simply not true.  Almost everything we do has an effect on
many other people.
             Each of us can recall many instances where one person's
wrongdoing has brought disastrous consequences upon others -- effect which
could have been easily foreseen if the person had stopped to think.
            4.  The next question:  "Would it be all right, and would the
world be just as happy and well off if everyone did this;  or am I trying to
give myself special privilege?"
           We remember Immanual Kant's Categorical Imperative which asked,
"What would be the result if everyone did as I do?"  And Paul's admonition,
"love does not purse selfish advantage."
           To be aware of these questions is not enough.  For them to be
effective there needs to be three additional things.
           First, a moral sensitivity which remembers to ask the right
questions at the right time.
           Second, a moral decisiveness.  To know what is good is not
enough.  There is a difference between waking up and getting up.  There must
be specific decision for the right.
           Finally, there needs to be a moral stamina.  To be sensitive and
aware is good.  To make proper decisions is better.  But the way of victory
is to maintain a stamina which continues.