[Rhodes22-list] RE: rudder overhaul

steadilsr at verizon.net steadilsr at verizon.net
Sun Sep 10 20:20:16 EDT 2006

Rhodies
 saw my name mentioned as a proj boat enthusiast.
 yeah I love the smell of acetone on my raw skin.

 Had to overhaul my entire rudder assembly too.
 Just in case no one has had to do this I recommend:

 taking out the pintles with care, use WD40 or whatever works to remove the corrosion btw ss pintle and aluminum plate. strip off corrosion with 3M paint stripper, epoxy the hell out of your SKEG and then barrier coat what is left of it.  Fill any unused holes
(some guy thought it was a piece of cheese on my boat)
I added 2 ss strips (1"x4" x 1/16") with 5/16 tapped threads to add more grip for  the lower outboard pintle fasteners. In effect taking the bolt up to a 5/16 and adding a back plate which will have plenty of room btw the skeg and the inside of the alum plate.
see attached photo.

Next time around I will replace the alum plates with
titanium :)

sail free and keep the wind in your sails
peace
 Lou