[Rhodes22-list] SHE'S HOME!!!

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 09:10:30 EDT 2006

congrats....pics to follow?

Hank <hnw555 at gmail.com> wrote:  Well, we got our new (to us) boat home on Sunday with out too many
difficulties. Once again, the Rhodes Family has proven out to be an
absolutely great bunch of folks. Mike Wiesner has an '81 and lives close to
the boat and generously offered to help us out. It turned out to be a
godsend as we eventually had to build an A Frame out of 4x4s to lift the
front so we could slide the trailer underneath. Mike's knowledge of this
year Rhodes and the local area really helped us get the job done. Otherwise
we would have had to leave the trailer, let the boat yard load it and then
return the following weekend to pick it up. Not something I really wanted
to think about doing.

When we got to LI, we met the original owner, Norman Gross, who was very
generous and gave us a lot of little extras he had like fuel tanks, and some
extra sails. The real gem was a virtually brand new Spinnaker with with
spinnaker and whisker poles. Additionally, he gave us a good price on a
2004 8hp Evinrude that he bought 2 years ago for the boat.

When we got to the boat, we found a years worth of accumulated rainwater
inside, that took us a while to bail, but when we finished she was fairly
dry. The only thing wrong that we can see so far is their is a slight
softness in the starboard foredeck, the floor in the cabin needs to be
replaced and the bottom needs to be completely stripped and repainted,
possibly with a barrier coat first. The gel coat on the hull is absolutely
gleaming and looks almost brand new. The topsides look pretty darn good for
24 year old boat. All in all, it looks like we got a real winner.

Thanks to all and a really big thanks to Mike.

Regards,

Hank