[Rhodes22-list] Political - Freedom for Muslims

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 09:25:58 EDT 2006

This is a long read but well worth the time - by Bernard Lewis, Professor
Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton University. Here is the whole
article:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/09/bring_them_freedom_or_they_des.html

Here are two excerpts -

................As Osama bin Laden puts it: "In this final phase of the
ongoing struggle, the world of the infidels was divided between two
superpowers--the United States and the Soviet Union. Now we have defeated
and destroyed the more difficult and the more dangerous of the two. Dealing
with the pampered and effeminate Americans will be easy." And then followed
what has become the familiar description of the Americans and the usual
litany and recitation of American defeats and retreats: Vietnam, Beirut,
Somalia, one after another. The general theme was: They can't take it. Hit
them and they'll run. All you have to do is hit harder. This seemed to
receive final confirmation during the 1990s when one attack after another on
embassies, warships, and barracks brought no response beyond angry words and
expensive missiles misdirected to remote and uninhabited places, and in some
places--as in Beirut and Somalia--prompt retreats...........

............And one of the greatest dangers is that on their side, they are
firm and convinced and resolute. Whereas on our side, we are weak and
undecided and irresolute. And in such a combat, it is not difficult to see
which side will prevail.

I think that the effort is difficult and the outcome uncertain, but I think
the effort must be made. Either we bring them freedom, or they destroy us.