[Rhodes22-list] cons of rhodes 22

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Sun Sep 24 20:00:26 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----

From:
rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org

[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org]On Behalf Of Erly Garner
> Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 9:24 PM
> To: The Rhodes
22 mail list
> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] cons of rhodes 22
>

> I've gotten news that the Rhodes 22 isn't
exactly easy to handle in
> stronger
> winds. What are
your feelings on handling in say 20 knots or a little

From: "Bob Keller"
<r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com>
<rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
> Sent: Monday, September 18,
2006 8:07 PM
> Subject: RE: [Rhodes22-list] cons of rhodes 22
>

>> Philip,
>> I think the wide
beam and flared hull does make the boat more stable and

less prone to capsize. But I also think a deeper fixed keel would do
>> the
>> same and would point better. However, it's
not as trailerable, so there
>> are always compromises. My
point was that the wide beam negatively
>> affects pointing
ability. I previously owned a 21' piece of crap boat
>> that
had a very heavy, steel swing keel. The beam was also pretty

"Philip" <3drecon at comcast.net>
>>>To: "The Rhodes 22 mail list"
<rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
>>>Subject: RE:
[Rhodes22-list] cons of rhodes 22
>>>Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006
04:09:05 -0400

>>>Bob,
>>> Doesn't the wide beam make the boat more laterally stable,
that is,
>>> less
>>>prone to capsize?
>>>
>>>Philip

Keller
>>>Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 9:37 PM
>>>To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Re: [Rhodes22-list] cons of rhodes 22

>>>Erly,
>>>I've had my '95 R-22 for 5 years in
both fresh and salt water and I do
>>>love
>>>the boat, but the boat and design does have some drawbacks.
It does not
>>>point very high into the wind because of the
wide beam and lack of a
>>> deep
>>>fixed
keel (which makes it trailerable). The keel centerboard

combination
>>>is also a compromise and my
"diamond-board" configuration is just not

that
>>>great for windward sailing. In five years I have
had ongoing, almost
>>>continuous problems with the
centerboard not raising and lowering freely
>>>and
>>>am currently having those problems again. Matter of fact am
going to
>>> pull
>>>the boat next weekend
and try to repair the centerboard again. While
>>> the
>>>Compac 23 does not have the amenities, it does have a fixed
keel and
>>>probably points better because I don't think
the beam is as wide.
>>> Still,
>>>chose the Rhodes over the Compac and have been very pleased,
despite
>>> these
>>>ongoing problems. If
you have the "older design" centerboard, you might

<erlyg at charter.net>
"The Rhodes 22 mail list" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>

3500 lb. tow limit....Doesn't sound too
it's time I thought about getting a new car.

-----
From: "Mary Lou Troy"

><mtroy at atlanticbb.net>

hauling the Rhodes but we only tow it a couple of
>>> times

long distances more often and if we had a lot

>>of
little beefier. The Rhodes does
>>> tow
>>>
>>well but it's fairly heavy for its size (all those amenities weigh

bit longer to set up
>>> than
allows you to
>>> raise
sails and boom all at once. Of course that bundle is heavier
>>> than
mast raising system like the once GB sells

>>comes in very handy.

Fretless

you wrote:
> [...]
from Edenton and am planning a trip