[Rhodes22-list] New Rodes Owner

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Fri Apr 6 19:39:38 EDT 2007

Frazier,

With all due respect, I disagree with Bill regarding GPS.

We have an Iris 100 handheld compass mounted on the bulkhead.  It does  the
job - it’s job is to  provide a steering guide.  We’ve found that  all the
hoopla about triangulating, navigating, etc via  compass that is  covered in
Power Squadron navigation courses is possible in some circumstances -  but not all
circumstances.  What is easy and reliable in virtually all  boating
circumstances is GPS - it will tell you where you are and how to get to  where you want
to go.  Virtually all our navigation, apart from piloting in  constrained and
familiar waterways (e.g. approaches to our marina),  is  done with  GPS.  We
use a handheld charting GPS that tells us in  virtually real time where we are
on the chart displayed on the hand held unit -  there’s no need to map the
GPS position on to a paper chart.  We know where  we are going when we leave the
dock - we enter that as a way point on the GPS  chart - and the machine plots
our course as it is sailed until we get to our  destination or decide to turn
around or set a new way point.   We  steer by the compass, but we monitor
evolution of the track in real time on the  GPS, so we know immediately if we're
deviating (we often  deviate -  every tack is a deviation)  and where we are
with respect  to navigation hazards and aids.

Our handheld charting GPS ( and I think most hand held GPS units) tracks
speed, average speed, time on the water, total elapsed distance sailed,  etc,
etc, - it’s all part of the package.  Also, we can hit a button and it  will
reverse course to tell us how to find our way back via our previous way  points -
that may be useful someday in fog or heavy rain.

 From time-to-time we cross-reference the GPS with our paper charts to  get
additional info regarding bottom type, correlate hazards, etc but generally
our hand held GPS map display shows hazards, buoys, etc, virtually  everything
shown on paper charts.  The GPS chart displays on our unit are  provided by
MapTech -the same people that provide paper charts.

I recommend a charting GPS as a safety and convenience item.  It does  not
replace a compass, you still need a compass to steer by, but the  charting GPS
will tell you where you are, what obstacles and nav aids are  nearby, and what
course to steer to get to your destination.   It  will also function as an
anchor alarm if you overnight.

Additionally, I have found the same handheld charting GPS to be very useful
for motor trips, hikes, etc, and it’s fun to play with.

Dave