[Rhodes22-list] Don't Know Squat

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Apr 6 21:39:33 EDT 2007

Dave,

A GPS is a lot of fun, and interesting to use once you know the basics
of navigation.  I always have one on when I'm on board, and when I'm in
my car.

But.

A 469 foot long cruise ship just sank to the bottom of the Aegean
because the professionals piloting the ship knew where the ship was, but
didn't know where the rocks were.

The QE2 grounded off Cuttyhunk Island in 1992 because the Captain didn't
understand the relationship of the bottom of his keel to the rocks below
it.  (I just learned this relationship is called "Squat".)

The GPS in my car signaled a left turn this afternoon 1000 feet before
my car reached the intersection.  The indicator screen showed my car
where it wasn't.

New sailors should learn the basics of navigation before they start
playing with toys that take their eyes off the water.  Charts should be
in your head in local waters, and you should know where all the
obstructions are, and where your boat is, with nothing more than your
eyes.  Even at night.  Even in the fog.  If you are not sure, drop
anchor and figure it out before you move in any direction.

I watch idiots steer by their GPS every time I go out on the water.  I
see them T-Bone each other because they are looking at a computer screen
which hasn't a clue that there is a boat between them and the next
waypoint.  I've seen boats stopped dead by Lobster Pots attached to
buoys with steel cables while the captain was down below running his
boat from the screen of his chart plotter.

Frazier is going to be sailing on Long Island Sound.  People die every
year on Long Island Sound due to completely unnecessary chart plotter
accidents.  Learn to use your wits before learning to use a chart
plotter.  Learn to read charts.  Learn to use a Peloris.  Learn to
heave-to.  Learn to set an anchor...

On most other things I agree with you, Dave,

Bill Effros