[Rhodes22-list] Magnetic or True?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Apr 10 08:39:39 EDT 2007

Nope.

Not on a sailboat.

The GPS is measuring the direction the boat is actually traveling.  The
steering compass measures the direction the boat is pointing.  All
sailboats slip sideways to some extent due to current and wind.

You can't simply take the number off the GPS and apply it to the
steering compass.  You must create some sort of deviation table.  You
must understand that the table will be different when sailing in
different directions.  Thus, when sailing due north you may have to add
5 degrees to the number shown on the GPS, and when sailing due south you
may have to subtract 5 degrees.  This table will differ on every boat,
and the corrections may not create any smooth curve.

It is possible to build the deviation table into the GPS, so that you
can transfer the number directly from the GPS to the steering
compass--but only if you understand navigation well enough to understand
how to do that.

And that still does not truly solve your problem.  Because one device is
constantly computing the direction to your destination without showing
you how it derives that information, and the other device is telling you
only which way you are pointing your boat, you are not traveling either
the shortest or the fastest route.  Yes, you will eventually arrive at
your destination, but you will probably have to turn your sailboat into
a motorboat to do so.  Your method of navigation will force your boat,
over time, more and more into the wind.

Racers understand that you can't just aim your boat at the next mark.
This is even more true when the legs of your trip are substantially
longer than racing around buoys.

If you are navigating home from any substantial distance you rarely
expect to be able to point your sail boat in that direction and sail
right to it, even if there are no obstructions in the way.  The fastest
way home will be to point the boat in some other direction in such a way
that your boat actually travels the shortest route possible.  Again, it
is possible to adjust the GPS so it gives you some of this information,
but not if you don't already know what I'm talking about.

If you're flying a jet, or piloting a motorboat you can overcome the
forces that throw you off the shortest route home.  But if you're on a
sailboat, and you are sailing, you must learn to calculate how to
overcome these forces, or you will not sail the shortest/fastest route.

To me, that's what sailing is really about.

Bill Effros