[Rhodes22-list] Magnetic or True?

Rory Orkin roryorkin at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 10 08:58:15 EDT 2007

Also valid.. I forget sometimes that sailboats are not power boats since
(dare I say it :) I frequently use both.
        But it all kind of relates to where you are standing. In general
terms ( a phrase that will always get you in trouble)..
Either by sail or power, You are trying to make a point. The difference with
sail is that you can sometimes head right for a point (accounting for drift
etc,etc etc ) and other times not. But you still have a conceptual point in
mind that the vessel needs to make. We could go on and on about the
difference between making a point and getting to a destination.. But I leave
that to the philosophers among us.

Bill Effros wrote:

> [...]
>> 10
>> potatoes to the left to hold course.  Now when the electronics go kaput,
>> all
>> bets are off.
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> On 4/10/07, DCLewis1 at aol.com <DCLewis1 at aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bill and Ed,
>>>
>>> I don't think it matters much if I were to try to sail a true heading as
>>> magnetic, my chart plotting GPS  would straighten me out  quickly.  With
>>> chart
>>> plotting GPS I enter  my destination/way points on the electronic charts
>>> in
>>> the GPS unit and  then  I  watch my track evolve in real time as I
>>> sail.  Of
>>> course, I always try to start on the right magnetic bearing, since I
>>> steer
>>> via
>>> compass, but it's not critical at all.  If I'm not headed where I want
>>> to  be
>>> headed relative to my desired way point, the plot on my chart plotting
>>> GPS
>>> will tell me immediately and quantitatively.   I can look at the  track
>>> display
>>> that's automatically displayed (no transferring plot points)  and
>>> instantly
>>> know if my course is too high or low and with that crude info  I can
>>> make
>>> steering adjustment, note the new reading on the compass,  and then hold
>>> that new
>>> compass reading.  I  never make the  calculation to go from degT to
>>> degM,
>>> instead I just note I'm off  track and adapt.
>>>
>>> As to deviation and variance, I'm not sure it matters when   a compass
>>> is
>>> used with a chart plotting GPS.  The compass becomes a  relative
>>> instrument that
>>> is used to hold a heading appropriate to keep on,  or near,  the desired
>>> trip
>>> track, that's it.  The numbers on the dial  are just a way to help you
>>> keep a
>>> heading - whatever that heading  really is, and that heading is
>>> ultimately
>>> determined by your chart plotting  GPS.  Making progress to the next way
>>> point is
>>> what's important, and you  can see that evolve (or not evolve) on the
>>> GPS
>>> display.  Steering  accurately by compass, as per John Vigor, is now
>>> besides the
>>> point - I use  the compass to hold a bearing that will keep me on my
>>> desired
>>> track (or get me  back to my desired track) and that track is monitored
>>> accurately in real time by  my chart plotting GPS.
>>>
>>> And all of the above is accomplished without keeping my head
>>> down  navigating
>>> via GPS because the chart plotting GPS unit does all of the
>>> and