[Rhodes22-list] Boom Room

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 13 23:40:59 EDT 2007

Slim,

Here is a picture I took of the boom room I took to Annapolis in October.  In the General Boat tradition I must report that it is not 'finished', the creative job is never finished.  I have since added a simple SS tube frame just below the boom for the top to mount over versus the boom - on my boat I want to keep the top of the BR up to act as a bimini, fully using the sails.  Adding the curtains at night is just a few zips.  The SS frame is sturdy and I have in place 24/7.  This was a simple and effective boat cover this winter with side curtains of Sunbrella.

The front and back of the unit will have either screen or ripstop, depending on weather conditions, and enabling continuous ventilation, fore and aft, while at anchor.

I am making a green and white now, probably a red with undetermined color curtains also.  With the many colors in the R22 hull choices, the color choices will be fun.  I made an extra set for my boat sides - red for port, green for stbd... did I get that right?

I enjoy putting these rooms together for fleet skippers.  The boat use factor will increase significantly with the cockpit utilized fully as an aft cabin.

Art