[Rhodes22-list] Batteries - Woe is me

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 09:29:14 EDT 2007

Mike,

It doesn't take much insulation burning off a wire to produce a whole lot of
smoke.  Trust me on this, I've had it happen in the cockpit.  You may be
lucky.  The large white wire you speak of may have acted as fuse and spared
you further damage.  Replace the obviously damaged ones first.  Buy marine
wire the same color and gauge  from a marine vendor (not Autozone), duct
tape the new wire to the end of the old one and pull through whatever
bulkheads, etc. you have to or feed the wire to the buss bar etc. as
necessary.  My guess is not all the wiring is bad.  You can use a volt/ohm
meter to check for continuity but I prefer a test light ($3 at Autozone or
Home Depot). Calder's book on boat electrical systems is good but you may
find "Boatowner's Illustrated Handbook or Wiring" by Charlie Wing simpler.
Slow down and be methodical.  It isn't that difficult.  Now if someone could
just explain why I'm not getting power to the stall warning light on my
Bonanza all would be well!

Brad