[Rhodes22-list] motor mount failure

Just bent j.bulfer at jbtek.com
Sun Apr 29 00:04:20 EDT 2007

Went out sailing today, nice calm day, 5-10 knots wind. We were out a few
hours when we say what looked to be a storm coming from a distance. We
pulled in all sails & started to motor for the marina. We were almost there
when the wind hit. White caps & large waves, a few came over the bow, it was
a very wet ride back. We were motoring straight into the wind when all of a
sudden the motor lurched sideways & turned us broadside to the wind. We had
the rail in the water with no sails out. I looked back to see the motor had
broken off the mount & was now underwater. I did have my safety line
attatched so I still have my motor. Now we are in probably 25-30 knot winds
with no motor. My wife was terrified. We were lucky another boat saw we were
in ey trouble & came to our rescue. They threw us a line & towed us in,
dragging the motor underwater the whole way. I thought the first time we
went out was pretty wild but that was intense. Real happy to get back on
land. I have some work to do on the motor for sure, not too impressed with
the motor raising system right now, has anyone else lost a motor this way?

Jb http://www.nabble.com/file/8131/failure.jpg