[Rhodes22-list] motor mount failure

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Apr 29 08:13:13 EDT 2007

JB:

Part failures do occur and generally not at the best time.  I do not recall
a post mentioning a failure of this piece while sailing.  The picture is
interesting.

Motor mounts have been known to break.  On my R22, mine broke a couple of
years ago and I went to Edenton and found another bracket discarded from
another recycle and used the pieces to make a good one.  On my O'Day, the
backboard broke in two.  Follow Captain Rummy's recommendations for a
stainless steel backing plate.

However, your piece should be easier to replace.  Did the screws/bolts
holding the piece fail?  Your picture does not show the head on view.  Do
you have a picture of the bolts?

There are several on this forum expert in such repairs.  Wait for their
input.

This illustrates the advantages of buying a boat, either new or recycled
thru Stan.  Such a failure would be promptly be fixed from GBI.

For you new guys testing the limits of sailboats, keep in mind stays and
shrouds have also been known to fail from extreme forces…  I am not saying
do not test the limits of your boat, just wear life jackets and hard hats.

See:  http://www.dixielandmarine.com/yachts/DLrigprob.html

and:
http://www.callipygia600.com/callnugget/allcruising/boatcards/rigging_failure.htm

Ed K