[Rhodes22-list] Which list is this.

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Tue Aug 7 11:53:39 EDT 2007

OK, I can't allow losing Rummy, so here goes.

I told you guys I had a response to Brad's view that if no one knows how to
solve our current mess, at least stop whining.  But no one showed interest
so I kept my secret "Nixon" plan to myself.  Ah, now that Rummy is curious,
here it is.

What fuels the terrorists:

My guess is drugs and oil money   (or course our being there probably does
too but I won't start a war with that view just now)

The drug money cure is easy;  join me and Bill Buckley and make drugs legal.
(Alcohol and tobacco and all the drug company drugs are already legal in
this country so what's the big deal - just do it)  So what if this step does
not completely shut off their funds if it helps cut down their ability to
buy some arms and politicians.  It saves some lives and that is better than
saving none.

Oil is another major source of funding for the religious nuts.  We import
oil, no matter what the price.  The overseas producers make huge profits so
they can afford to be generous with our enemy.   We simply have to stop
importing oil.  If we become good at this, others will follow, except
Brazil, who are already there.

Now Brad and others are going to make the correct argument that alternate
ways of getting energy are not efficient (wind, solar, ethanol, hydro, etc.)
and expanding our own oil reserves and atomic energy have down sides.  But
that is missing the point.   (When I was a few years shy of the draft, our
country was taking down the Third Avenue El and sending its steel to Japan
who obligingly converted it to bombs for my less fortunate young friends.)

Efficiency, even environmental issues, should be back burner considerations
if we are weighing life and the huge costs of wars we simply cannot win with
the intelligence we currently have.  Meantime the intelligence we do have
will come up with a US master minded energy fix if we seed such programs
with part of the money we are pissing away hitting our heads against a
composite stone wall.  Besides, when I hear the argument that says making
ethanol is not efficient, I wonder, is going to war to protect our oil
interests more efficient?

Nixon was correct when he said we should be 100% oil import free by 1986 -
he just did not have the smarts or maybe it was the strength to overcome the
lobby influences, to make it happen.

Today we can make it happen - although we still have the lobbyists to
contend with and congressional Democrats have shown themselves, at least so
far,  not to be up to that problem.  Did any one catch the 60 Minute segment
a few weeks ago about the all night session to keep the pharmaceutical drug
bill from reaching a vote since it did not have the votes to pass - until 3
in the morning when enough bribery had been doled out to squeeze it through.
The lead politician came away with a two million dollars a year job with one
of the drug companies (don't ask his drug expertise or what he is actually
doing to be worth that money - he earned it ahead of time)  And they listed
all our other representatives who got amazingly hefty rewards for their
switched votes in the middle of the night when apparently no one was looking
other than Roger.

But I digress.  Simply help cut off the funding of my enemy, from dugs and
oil  (and stop giving them our guns by the thousands)  and even I may vote
for the next war.

ss