[Rhodes22-list] Political: "Winning" the war in Iraq

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Aug 7 12:13:53 EDT 2007

OK, Rummy, I'm with you.
Let's stir things up a little.

There's no such thing as "Winning" the war in Iraq.

There is such a thing as tracking down terrorists
and killing them wherever they are -- if and only
if we ally with our neighbors on this planet.

------------------------

There have been so many defections from the Iraqi
legislature that they will no longer have a quorum.

So they cannot accomplish the objectives laid down
as the basis for the "surge" (read: continuation
of the occupation of Iraq by the military-industrial
complex that Eisenhauer warned us about in the '50s).

I did not nor do I believe now that we can impose the
mechanisms of 21st century government on a society
that clings to 7th century ideology.

I sent the included message last year (see "Original
Message"), and have no reason to change my position now.

------------------------

Getting out of Iraq is no dishonor to the many US
fighting men and women who have died following the
orders of our president.  It is we at home who
dishonor them by allowing Bush and his sycophants
to stay in power.

We were wrong to go there.
We are wrong to think that we can solve their problems.
We are wrong to think that we can stop terrorists there.
We are wrong to prop up a government that cannot function.

We are wrong and cowardly to accept the erosion of our
constitutional rights by a deceitful megalomaniac.

Time for a reality check!

------------------------------

That should set the cat among the pigeons.  Have fun
while I am gone.  I hope that the list survives in its
barroom form.  Good sailors have many interests, and
will congregate where discussion is not limited.

Now I have to go pack for a trip, careful to avoid
carrying a pocket knife lest I be branded a terrorist.
I and the rest of the passengers should instead be
carrying sufficient fire power to fend off an attempt
to hijack the plane.

Robert Skinner