[Rhodes22-list] (no subject)

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 16:03:04 EDT 2007

Dave, we use the Bimini on most sunny days also.  Do you have the captain's
chairs?  When I sit in the raised seat my line of sight is over the Bimini
and under the Genoa if I have it unfurled to the mast.  If you don't have
the Captain's chairs I'd recommend them.

Dave B

On 8/7/07, Daniel Snyder <dancsnyder at comcast.net> wrote:

> Dave, I basically keep the bimini up most of the summer....I wouldn't be
> with out it....it really does the job and passengers/crew love it.
> You're right that it is a little inconvenient to sit a bit aft on either
> corner but a quick glance up is no big deal in exchange for the value
> received.  You can also hang your head out a bit on the port or
> starboard side of the bimini to check headsail/main sail shape...again a
> quick glance will tell you what you need to do, if anything.  Lots of
> times I'll sit in the corner chairs and let my guests benefit from the
> bimini as in the attached pictures.
>
> I've never been a big fan of the window in my 175 genoa...I almost
> always crane to look under or around it from time to time....so I'd not
> opt for such a window in the bimini.  I also sail a new 34 ft. Tartan on
> Lake Champlain which has a huge carbon boom that is designed in such a
> way as to virtually prevent a full bimini....as far as I'm concerned it
> is a design flaw in what is otherwise is a gorgeous boat...thank
> goodness Stan didn't make the same mistake with our R22!  Dan in NH
>
> DCLewis1 at aol.com wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Recently we've sailed a couple of times with the Bimini up - the sun was
> > just too hot.  I put it up at the slip to motor out of the harbor.
> When we
> > cleared the breakwater I collapsed the Bimini long enough to get
> the  mainsail
> > out, and then put the Bimini back up.  Comfort-wise, it's much  better
> with the
> > Bimini up on a hot summer day, I recommend it - the shade makes  all the
> > difference.
> >
> > Handling the headsail was not much affected by the Bimini, except that
> it's
> > hard to see what's going on at the top.  BUT, I have a hard time
> monitoring
> > the mainsail - the entire sail is completely obscured by the
> Bimini.  Once  the
> > sail is out and the Bimini re-set, all subsequent mainsail adjustments
> were
> > all "by feel" and by listening.  I can crane my neck around the aft
> portion
> > of the Bimini from time to time to spot check what's going on with the
> main
> > sail, but it's not convenient for easy monitoring.  It would really
> be  great
> > if there were a small window, or flap, you could see through to check
> out  what'
> > s going on "up there", or maybe even have an opening in the Bimini that
> you
> > could reach through to adjust the mainsail since all the IMF mainsail "
> > controls"  are on the boom.
> >
> > Are there any other sailors on the list that sail with their
> Bimini  up?  If
> > so, how do you monitor the mainsail and the top of the headsail?

> [...]

David Bradley
+1.206.225.7793
dwbrad at gmail.com