[Rhodes22-list] Justin Bain of Buffalo, New York

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Aug 14 10:55:20 EDT 2007

At 09:53 AM 8/14/2007 -0400, Hank wrote:
>There is no such thing as a cheap boat.  We boat a decent rhodes off of
>e-bay for a little over 800 and now, after buying a motor, reconditiong the
>sails, buying a bimini, having the yard do some bottom work I had neither
>the time or patience for, we are into it for about 4K.  We have a nice boat
>and it is going to be great, but there are always expenses you did not plan
>on.  Remember the definition of BOAT.  *B*ring *O*ut *A*nother *T*housand.

"Truer words were never spoke" (local saying).  I lucked out and
picked up my Rhodes for $1,000 from a message posted on this very
mailing list.  Stick around, be patient, you never know what will float by.

That being said, my experience is almost identical to Hank's.  Got it
cheap and immediately pumped in a couple thousand for repairs &
replacements, accessories (some required), and the inevitable gadgets
and doodads.  And there's plenty more I'd could spend if I didn't
have other pesky obligations like food and the light bill.  And
that's not to mention the many hours spent making those repairs,
cleaning, adjusting, installing, painting, sanding, drilling,
readjusting, and occasionally sailing.  All a pure pleasure.

Another boat definition - "A hole in the water into which one pours money."

Cheers!

John Lock