[Rhodes22-list] Finally in the Water

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Aug 20 11:26:08 EDT 2007

Rob & Hank,

The stern shots show quite a difference between the boats.  I believe that
Hank's boat is a 1982.  The tiller/rudder assy is very similar to mine ('81)
using the polycarbonate sides.  Interestingly, I just spent some time
helping Lou Rosenberg with his early '81 Rhodes and the tiller/rudder assy
is very much like Rob's with combination wood and metal sides and the
extended tiller handle (except he has the rudder blade installed.)  Are the
newer craft fitted with the polycarbonate sides?  Are they still available
from GBI?  They seemed a lot sturdier.

Hank, how did you tighten the backstay tensioner?  The original rigging was
designed to pass the line down along the backstay to a cleat on the stern
for tensioning.  I can't see where you cleated yours.  Also, Stan
recommended 6 wraps of the jib sheets around the genoa when fully furled
(using the GBI furler) and the jib sheets run on opposite sides of the boat
(generally between the inners and outers), through the blocks on the cars,
around the winches, cleated and the excess stored in the coaming
compartments when not in use.

She's a beauty!

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)