[Rhodes22-list] Buying a Rhodes

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Aug 22 14:27:31 EDT 2007

Dan,

If "remotely nearby" is about two hours, you're more than welcome to
come up for a demo sail.  95N to 50E just across the Chesapeake Bay
Bridge.

I purchased my 1986 recycled boat from Stan about two years ago and I
too planned on primarily daysailing with a few overnighters.  After over
a hundred daysails, I have yet to spend the night on her; but one of
these days...

Elle has a beautiful new boat with wheel steering.  If you'd like to see
what an older recycled boat looks like with a tiller and portapotty, it
might be worth the drive to the Eastern Shore.  I believe that if God
thought sailors should be cleaning instead of sailing, he wouldn't have
given us rain.  Aside from a powerwashing last December, I've done
almost no cleaning and my boat looks great.  She's an impressive
advertisement for Stan's recycling program.

In my biased daysailing opinion, I highly recommend you get a GPS,
mostly for knowing your speed (cheap hand-held is adequate).  A big,
easy-to-read bulkhead mounted compass is awfully nice, primarily to
prevent you from changing your direction and having to re-adjust your
sails.  Don't let anyone talk you out of getting a depthfinder, not even
Stan.  I think Stan may now include the connection from the tiller to
the outboard, but if not, get it.  Same for the tiller extension, which
I mostly use for its tiller-locking-cruise-control feature.  Get IMF
(in-mast furling).

Nice but not necessary features I have include the bimini, cockpit
cushions, electric motor lift, dual batteries, solar panels, new sails,
and hand-held anenometer for checking wind speed.

My boat came with opening front ports so I kept them, but had I to do it
over again I would have listened to Stan and had non-opening ports
installed.  Putting the covers on and off isn't worth the hassle (for a
daysail).  A speed wheel isn't worth the money even if it's free.  The
Chesapeake water will clog it up in a matter of days, and a GPS is much
more accurate anyway.

Can't miss what you don't have, and I haven't regretted not buying other
items.  If I overnighted a lot, the pop-top enclosure would seem wise.
As for the expensive boom room, I'd probably drape mosquito netting or a
tarp over the pop-top and bimini to keep out bugs or rain.  Captain's
chairs are cheap if you have the right stern rail; expensive if you
don't.  No offense to anyone's masculinity, but I think a marine head
must be a chic thing.  As a caveman, it just seems unnecessarily
complicated.

Good luck!

Lee
S/V At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)
202.884.5369

If you and your wife are teachers, you might think about naming your
boat "Rhodes Scholars."