[Rhodes22-list] Solar Mooring Light/Mast Raising System

David Huckabee huckabee_david at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 14:38:42 EDT 2007

SOLAR MOORING LIGHT
     In answer to several questions:

   The lights are made in China for Westinghouse.  I bought a package of 15 for about $90.

  A magnet does not stick to the metal, so I'd guess that is 18-8 (304) stainless.  The lens is heavy glass.  The light uses two standard AA nicads.  How long it will last is anyone's guess, but obviously, I'll remove it when the boat is on the hard.

  I made the base out of painted pine, and bought two stainless bolts to go through Stan's mast raising system base.  Obviously, you would want to remove the light before sailing with the genoa.

  As for light output, I don't think it bright enough so that the light spill-over would be seen directly from behind because of the mast.  I was watching the other night when two neighbors came in after dark with their running lights on.  This light is nothing like a running light.  It is more like a bright penlight.  It becomes more effective as the "nautical twilight" fades to black (after which you would have a hard time seeing a boat on a moonless night).

  MAST RAISING
  Regarding Stan's mast raising system.  I had to use it on the water after 8 hours of 30-40 mph winds caught my genoa, flogged it, and jammed the halyard so I had to drop the mast at the float.  (The sail has been returned from the sailmaker, repaired).

  Just as I was raising the mast (about halfway up) a lobster boat came roaring in about 40 feet away to tend one his traps.  The resulting rollers slammed the boat against the pier, but Stan's rear- and forward shroud connections to the crane, plus the substantial crane, allowed me to complete the mast raising as we continued to rock and roll at the float.  After that experience, I was very happy with Stan's 40+ years of refinements to the boat, and his "over engineering."