[Rhodes22-list] Mast Crane Questions

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Aug 31 09:07:06 EDT 2007

Art,

That's exactly what I was doing as we raised the mast using the crane.
Lou's boat was on land (blocks & stands) so all was very still and there was
no problem, really.  I had never used the crane before and was simply
concerned about the lateral movement of the mast.  As you indicate, the only
lateral control you have is by applying pressure to the shrouds.

I still feel much more "in control" when raising by hand.  With 2 people on
the foredeck, raising the mast from the bow, I have never worried about
damage or loss, on the trailer or on water.  When I first started sailing my
R22 in '81, we trailered almost daily, setting up and launching in about 30
minutes with a 4 person team.  Now, we perform this action once or twice a
season with a 2 person team, as we are moored in the river and not
trailer-sailors any longer.  As with most things, age has decreased the
frequency but not necessarily the ability.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Arthur H. Czerwonky" <czerwonky at earthlink.net> Thursday, August 30,
2007 10:47 PM
> Mike,
> Given that there is some sway in the mast as it is raised or lowered,
> especially at the 45 degree point, the midway point, you can apply some
> control through the shrouds by applying differential pressure to the
> wires.  You have to be judicial, but if you apply pressure, in any
> direction, on a shroud, the mast will move in that same direction.  I'd
> practice this while on the trailer and see the effect.
> Do you step the mast from the bow while on the water?  Maybe I mis-read.
> Art

>>> at
>>> http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour