[Rhodes22-list] Mast Crane Operations for Mike W

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Aug 31 13:17:25 EDT 2007

Mike:

I have the IMF and the mast hoist crane system.  Occassionally I have had
help, however, many times I have raised and lower the mast by myself.  I
have raised and lowered in the wind.  In either direction, the system allows
you to move the mast a little bit and then check all the stays and lines to
make sure that all are in correct positions.  Even lowering on a windy day
the mast settled into the aft rest fine.  I have the done the operation on
the trailer and over water, no problem.

Stan quoted a price, you might be able to negotiate a discount if you trade
your boat in on a new IMF model with the enclosed marine head and the
motorized motor mount.  You mentioned aging, these modifications to the
Rhodes 22 certainly meet that issue.  Even Alan could still do the job by
himself with the current mast rasiing system.

Also, if your help is named Stanley, you need to be extra careful because he
and Elton do thing differently.  While he wrote the directions that he gives
out, I am not sure that he goes by them:-)

As to Hanks comment about not needing the system for raising and lowering
becuause of infrequency, I suggest that one day if you want to change a
light bulb or do something quickly, that one time makes it worth while.  The
Rhodes 22 can be launched or retrieved by one old sailor with the mast
raising system, and done safely.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
http://www.nabble.com/file/p12430643/Dec%2B06%2BRed%2BRhodes%2B006.jpg