[Rhodes22-list] Clean up cockpit-- ugh

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Aug 31 16:07:02 EDT 2007

Bob and others,

Even Simple Green, the "environmentally friendly" product cannot be
discharged legally into a body of water.  Numerous summons are issued each
season to local boaters in our mooring field.  Please note the following
from the simple green site
http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_tips.php:

"Runoff from Cleaning: Even though Simple Green is non-toxic and
biodegradable, it is still a violation of the Federal Clean Air & Water Act
to allow the runoff to enter a storm drain or open body of water (lakes,
streams, rivers, oceans, etc.) However, because it is non-toxic and
biodegradable, you can clean boats over dirt, gravel, or grassy areas and
then just water it in when done. Simple Green will biodegrade in the soil
and will break down greases & oils so that the natural bacteria in the
ground can consume it."

In addition, there is a caution for fiberglass gel coat as follows:
"BOATS
General Cleaning:  For general exterior cleaning of your boat, prepare a
1-part Simple Green to 32-parts water solution. Lightly rinse hull with
fresh water and then wash with the diluted cleaning solution using a sponge
or non-abrasive cloth. Work in sections to prevent cleaner from drying on
the surface (which makes it much more difficult to rinse off.) Rinse each
section thoroughly with fresh water after cleaning. Using this proper
dilution, working in sections and following right away with a fresh water
rinse will assure that you do not damage a marine gel coat."

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "bobmellor" <rhmello at aol.com> Friday, August 31, 2007 12:38 PM

> For many years I have used regular all purpose "simple green" for all
> pressure washing (house, outdoor furniture, porches, whatever.  and now
> will
> be using on the boat as well) - I think it was the first widely available
> supposedly biodegradable and "eco-friendly" solution.  On the house (and
> now
> the boat) I use the method described by others...  a cheap garden sprayer
> spray it on and soak, then plain water thru the pressure washer to take it
> off.  I'm just very carefull to keep the pressure washer nozzle far enough
> away from the surfaces so it does not damage or "inject" water into the
> material itself.
>
> (i do my washing at home, not at marina or ramps)
>
> http://consumer.simplegreen.com/video/cnbc_on_america.wmv
>
> Bob M
>

> R22MikeW wrote:
>>
>> Rummy & Bob,
>>
>> Where do you wash the boat?  In NY, we are not permitted to use a power
>> washer or discharge cleaning detergents or soaps into the river or other
>> waterways.  The DEC police allow only low pressure water (they cut the
>> hose
>> fitting off to prevent the use of a nozzle at the dock) as a means of
>> removing debris.
>>
>> While I would love to use these chemicals, I wonder what happens when
>> they
>> are discharged into the water environment.  Do you have a "green"
>> solution
>> that we may use?  Note, I am not a B-H Liberal or tree-hugger but I do
>> respect nature and try to find an acceptable solution.
>>
>> Mike
>> s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
>>        Nissequogue River, NY
>>
>> From: <R22RumRunner at aol.com> Friday, August 31, 2007 8:59 AM
>>> Captain Bob,
>>> You are correct as usual. If you are only using hose pressure, it can
>>> take
>>> long time to remove all the suds. However, with the use of a pressure
>>> washer,
>>> I didn't have problems. Apparently the high pressure removes the soap
>>> suds
>>> more  efficiently.
>>>
>>> Rummy
>>>

>>> ************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new