[Rhodes22-list] Motor Won't Start

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Dec 12 07:14:51 EST 2007

Here's a question for those more mechanically inclined than I; which should
include just about everyone on this list.

At the end of last season the electric start on my 2005 9.9 Mercury outboard
quit working.  Plenty of juice in the battery but when I pressed the starter
all I got was a clicking noise.  My marina's service department changed the
wiring which cost a couple bucks in parts and an arm and a leg for labor.

Tried to start my motor last night and it happened again.  Any advice?  My
wife recommended a little blue pill.  I'll fumble around with the wiring but
from last year's labor charge I assume there's some major disassembling to
get to the connections.  Just to connect the pull start requires a lot of
breaking and entering.

Should I expect this to happen every year?  I assume it's from saltwater
corrosion.  I've had to clean the connections in the lazarette several times
to get the motor lift to work.

Any advice is appreciated.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease