[Rhodes22-list] List admin/sailing

Just bent j.bulfer at jbtek.com
Fri Dec 21 19:07:14 EST 2007

Dan,
I have a 1990 Rhodes 22, I think recycled in 2000. I live about 20 minutes
from Lake pleasant, probably 45 from Bartlett. It seems from your story we
have a similar ambition. The difference is you know what your doing. The Sea
of Cortez is a goal of mine but I have much to learn before I make that
leap. If you would like to see or sail a Rhodes 22, I would be more than
happy to meet you at the lake. I might go this weekend.

Jay Bulfer
"Just bent"
Phx, Az.

Dan Stromquist wrote:

> [...]
> raced that boat too. Did very well in PHRF. Midwinter Class B champs one
> year. Occational trip to Catalina. Don't like cruising in So Cal since
> there really isn't anyplace to go especially if you want to get away from
> it all. Going to Catalina Is is like going to a WalMart parking lot during
> a Christmas sale.
>
> After Calif. I moved to Singapore where I initially raced dingys. Later I
> bought a J24 which I raced too. I'm still a member of the Changi Sailing
> Club in Singapore.
> Last year I went to Spain to sail my cousins Hunter 31. First experience
> with IMF and was that ever nice and easy.
>
> I've lived in Phoenix, AZ since 1998 and have been boatless all that time.
> Just sold the family business and now I have time to get back into
> sailing. I can get to San Carlos in about 8 hours by car. I plan to use my
> boat for a month at a time. It will be dry stored when I'm not there. They
> have very good facilities in San Carlos. I will usually be singlehanding.
> My wife may join me from time to time. Some buddies will come down for
> sure. R22 looks like the perfect little boat for my needs. I read with
> great interest the posting by one member (Chris?) of his month long
> sailing trip in Baja. I also enjoyed the post by the member who took his
> Rhodes 22 to the Bahamas. I might try that trip one day. Sounds like a
> blast! I also enjoyed reading about the R22 in "Sailing Small".
>
> Since I started drinking it at the source (Barbados) I go with Mt. Gay
> too! In the islands we mixed it with Bitter Lemon (kind of a flavored
> tonic water mix). Haven't been able to find that mix here in Phoenix but
> then I haven't looked too hard. I've gone local and drink Margaritas here.
> Mojitos may be in my future. Easier to make on a small boat ; - ) Also
> drank a lot of Heineken over the years. In the USVI the local rum was so
> cheap it was more cost effective to use it to wash windows than windex.
> That was a few years ago and things may have changed.
>
> I have contacted Stan and he is sending me information about a 1984
> recycled Rhodes he has available. I have also contacted several list
> members about boats they have for sale. I understand that Stan gets a
> commission and I have NO problem with that arragement. I am pretty
> flexible on delivery time. Summer is not the high season in the Sea of
> Cortez. It is pretty darn hot then. Most sailing is done in fall, winter
> (but water is cold for snorkeling) and spring.
>
> Rob, that is probably more info than you needed but you did ask. Now that
> I'm going forward the list will hear more from me. I've enjoyed my lurking
> time and now I look forward to owning a Rhodes 22 and contributing.
> Fair winds,
> Dan Stromquist
>
> Rob Lowe wrote:
>>
>> Welcome Dan, you've made the right choice.  So, tell us more.  Where do
>> (will) you sail?  What is your experience?  And, most importantly, what's

>>> Rhodes
>>> 22. I have just started a dialog with Stan about getting a recycled