[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring -- It's Not Just Me

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Feb 1 11:30:23 EST 2007

Bill Effros

 From the current issue of Practical Sailor:

Anchoring in MUD

I always enjoy your anchoring articles and quote from them often during
my anchoring lectures at boat shows. This time, I must comment. (I
performed anchoring tests for Fortress when they first came out, and
much of my research material is still used by them. That test spanned
two years and covered 300 completely different anchoring incidents at
locations starting in Newport, R.I., down the East Coast of the United
States, and at many islands in the Bahamas.)

I note that in your test, you had considerably heavy chain that appears
to be either 5/16 or even 3/8 in the photo and more than six feet in
length. Again, I implore all Fortress users and especially the testers,
to RTFM (read the fine manual). If the factory recommendations and my
own proofs were followed, you would have had quite different results
from your test. You cannot use chain in those circumstances and the
greater initial scope you try, the worse the problem becomes. The
cantenary in the chain simply makes a groove in the mud, the shank is
quite blade-like, and the moment tension is put on the rode, especially
if there is considerable scope, the sharp-edged shank follows and dips
below the points of the flukes. The then-upward facing flukes make the
anchor plane on top of the mud. You could pull it forever in that mode
and never get it to set. I have personally rescued several people from
predicaments of this type, notably up Spa Creek in Annapolis, Md., where
there is just slimy ooze that has been building for generations.
Unshackle the chain, and the anchor works well and holds far better than
most.