[Rhodes22-list] Carlin and Sis - questioned

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Feb 6 18:47:08 EST 2007

Brad -

My question was not and is not hostile to you.

The message's impact suffered from the lack of proper attribution.
I would have a hard time warming to someone preaching on an
incompletely researched quotation.  I also understand the difficulty
of accomplishing it when you have to develop a new argument for
right action on a weekly schedule.

As to the content of the message, it is a good summary of the
adverse progression of so many trends in our society.  If I were
going to preach on it, I would immediately point out that the core
of the message transcends its shabby treatment as it passed through
the Internet.  The self-serving twisting of messages by your next
door neighbor and prominent politicians is yet another symptom
of a growing disdain for truth.

Deliberately changing an attribution to reflect well or poorly on
someone is a form of theft, and a lie to boot.  I have a respect
for accuracy, and this message is tainted.

Nothing about this is directed at you personally.

Pax,
/Robert

Brad Haslett wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I did the homework.  Frankly, Carlin probably didn't write it.  You can find
> a number of other sources that quote he did write it, or didn't.  That
> doesn't change the value of the message.  I haven't been to a Sunday sermon
> in thirty years because I had a 'rats ass' interest in the message, but a
> pastor friend of mine is preaching on 'Carlins' message next Sunday and I
> promised to be there. What part of the message do you disagree with?
>
> Brad
>
> On 2/6/07, Robert Skinner <robert at squirrelhaven.com> wrote:
> >
> > Brad:
> >
> > Please take a look at
> >
> > http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp
> >
> > /Robert
> > Brad Haslett wrote:
> > >
> > >  Got this from my sister last week.  Sis and I don't agree on much but
> > every
> > > now and then she sends me a "zinger"...
> > >
> > > Sis got this one right!  Life IS interesting!
> > >
> > > Brad
> > >
> > > An interesting twist for George Carlin.....I rarely forward these chain
> > > letters but it is certainly one that makes you stop and think!!!  I was
> > > somewhat amazed by the author, unfortunately his wife recently passed
> > > away.
> > >
> > >  ------------------------------
> > >
> > > GEORGE CARLIN (His wife recently died...)
> > >
> > > Isn't it amazing that George Carlin - gross and mouthy comedian of the
> > > 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent..and so very
> > > appropriate.
> > >
> > > A wonderful Message by George Carlin:
> > >
> > > The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but
> > > shorter tempers, wider Freeways , but narrower viewpoints. We spend...

Robert Skinner         Coordinates N43° 41.330', W70° 24.889'
"Squirrel Haven", 9 Gateway Commons, Gorham, Maine 04038-1331
'87 West Wight Potter 15' Mark II # 1618 "Little Dipper"
'94 West Wight Potter 19' Swing Keel Short Rig # 754 "Edith P"
Home message and FAX machine 207-839-8777, Cell 207-653-1752