[Rhodes22-list] Smoking

Slim stevenalm at comcast.net
Wed Feb 7 14:21:32 EST 2007

If you are a tobacco user or know someone who wants to quit please read
this.

I tried my first cigarette when I was 11 years old and by the time I was 12
I was a daily smoker and addict.  By 14 I was taking pride in rolling my own
smokes.  Before I was old enough to drive a car, I was regularly using every
tobacco product I could think of--cigars, pipes, chew, you name it.  Not
much has changed since then.  I'm a veritable tobacco priest, thus devoted.

I've tried many times to quit and always failed.  My non-smoking wife no
longer allows smoking in our house so there I am out on the back porch in
the freezing cold feeding my addiction.  They say to identify the
"triggers."  For me, being awake is the trigger.  The only time I don't
smoke is when I'm asleep or in the shower.  It's the first thing I do when I
get up and the last thing I do before bed.

Now hope has come.  There's a new prescription drug on the market called
Chantix.  Here's how it works.  Nicotine produces dopamine in the brain
which is why you get pleasure from it.  This pill prevents the nicotine from
producing the dopamine so smoking is no longer pleasurable.  You no longer
get that "pop."  Once you start the medication, you can continue smoking all
you want but after only a few days into it I found little pleasure in
smoking.  I'd light up, take a couple puffs and put it out.  I've now been
on the pill about three weeks and have not smoked at all for the last six
days.  I have very few cravings, little or no withdrawal symptoms, I'm not
gaining weight and have no apparent side affects.

The beauty of this is that I haven't really had to "try to quit" at all.
The pill does all the work.  It has not taken any will power on my part.
The will power will be needed when I go off the pill.  The recommended
treatment is three months. Without the medication, of course the nicotine
WILL produce the dopamine and so I'll be one puff away from going back.  But
I'm determined and committed to becoming free of this slavery.

I'm not out of the woods yet so wish me luck, but I recommend this product
without hesitation.

Slim