[Rhodes22-list] Speaking of cold weather

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 7 17:49:32 EST 2007

Joseph,

I just read your post.  Yikes -- that's hurricane strength wind!  As I
recall, the weather station atop Mt Washington at one point recorded the
strongest winds on record, something like 230 plus mph.  I hope Eric brought
his longjohns.

Long ago and far away from here I once walked in to Tuckerman's Ravine on
the slopes of Mt Washington in June.  It's a box canyon below a snowfield
that used to fill up with snow each winter and last mid summer.  Crazy kids
(maybe I was one) would walk in with skis, walk up the slope (the snow would
fill in and form a parabolic shaped slope, so the higher you climed up the
steeper it was) and ski down.  Many good looking girls would wear shorts in
the Summer weather.  Every once in a while one would wipe out.

Ah... the good old days.

PT