[Rhodes22-list] Rope luff pad question

Gardner, Douglas (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner at lexisnexis.com
Thu Feb 8 14:27:16 EST 2007

Hi everybody,

Do any of you have experience with a rope luff pad?

I just received my new 150% Genoa, and had specified a seafoam luff pad.
However, it was delivered from Doyle with a rope luff pad.  I know that
North is touting the rope luff as the next great thing (doesn't
compress, doesn't absorb water, etc.).  But it seems to me that its
greatest advantage is that it is easy to install, and that is probably
why Doyle is going with it too.  Stan said that all of their larger
sails still come with the foam pad, so he doesn't know what is going on.

Before I send it back to Doyle and tell them to send me what I asked
for, I'd like some opinions on whether or not I should be glad I have
the rope luff pad instead of the foam pad. My web searches haven't
turned up anything but the company propaganda, so I really don't have an
objective opinion.  I won't have the opportunity to try it until May,
and my guess is that will be a little late to tell them to do it right!

Thanks!

--Doug Gardner

s/v Fretnaught