[Rhodes22-list] Jay Bulfer - Friday reply #1 - regarding off shore sailing

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Feb 9 09:13:32 EST 2007

Jay:

     Your questions are seen by many, however, the way you pose questions
will get more responses if in the subject line you change it to the subject
of your specific question.   As you pointed out, there are many topics of
little interest to many so they do not read the post.

      As an early responder to your question, I would say that Chris G and
Bill W are best qualifed to answer your question.  I would not take my boat
three hours off shore.  But then mine is a 1984 with many nautical miles.

       Stan, the originator and still maker of the Rhodes 22 said the best
approach is to get a R22 to sail and for big trips or off shore sailing,
charter a bigger boat.  However, both Chris G. and Bill W have sucessfully
disregarded his admonition.

       The Rhodes 22 is a unique boat to learn to sail.  With the unique IMF
you learn in great detail about how different sail amounts and adjustments
are important.  You do not get that experience with a standard rigged boat.
For that reason alone, the Rhodes 22 should remain in your considerations.
You will sail more and therefore get more experience, so that you can handle
a bigger boat on occasion.

     Again, go back and try to download and read Chris's PDF's.  The file
damaged error appeared for some others and eventually they got a readable
file.  For you in particular, it is an important read.  There were several
work a rounds posted to the list.  One of which was to save the file then
try to open it.  There were other approaches.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA