[Rhodes22-list] Other boat possibilities.

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sat Feb 10 12:35:02 EST 2007

Jay,

Being a R22 owner, I don't spend much time keeping track of other
manufacturer's boats. However, this discussion with you got me looking. The  Hunter 27
doesn't list it's weight, but it's displacement is around 7,600  pounds. My
guess is that you would need a Cummins diesel to tow it. The  Hunter 26 weights
in around 4,650 pounds. They mention a mast crutch for  trailering, but don't
list a trailer as either optional or standard equipment.  Then there's the
issue of raising and lowering the mast. No mast crane is listed  as either
optional or standard equipment on their site. Inner mast furling? One  of the biggest
advantages of the R22 is being able to single hand it in any
conditions.(Most people will only sail with me once, so I single hand a  lot)
Next I went to the Macgregor 26 site. They have a new and improved 26M  which
they are currently producing. It kind of caught my eye after reading about
the changes in hull design which effects sailing hull speed and stability.
Sounds like they are going in the right direction. Then I went to their pricing
section and started building a boat. All I would gain would be four feet in
length with the same equipment. The price came to over $36,000.00. I haven't
seen a Mac that was worth half of that, even when new. This is not a boat I
would consider. The positive flotation in the Rhodes takes away a lot of
otherwise usable space, but the peace of mind in sailing out into the ocean it  can
bring is worth a lot. You don't have to go to Edenton to see a R22, we have
owners all over the country. Perhaps someone in your area would be willing to
do  a show and sail with you.

Rummy