[Rhodes22-list] Joseph Hadzima other trailerable sailboats & Jay B.

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sat Feb 10 17:04:38 EST 2007

Joe,

     You are spouting steam to the wrong guy.  I have a Rhodes 22 which I
can launch and retrieve the boat by myself.

      I also have a O'Day 26.  It is supposed to be a trailerable sailboat.
It is trailerable with two able bodied assistants.  And the help needs to be
experienced and boat savvy.  For your information the centerboard on the
O’Day pivots just like the Rhodes.  That is where the similarity stops.

       All the boats you mentioned require experienced assistance in
launching and retrieving.  Keep in mind this guy is a rookie.  After owning
and sailing the Rhodes 22 for several years, he will gain the skills and may
want to follow Russ's lead.  Russ used to have a Rhodes 22, and as I recall,
trailered from Maryland to Hilton Head, South Carolina.  When dealing with
his Seaward 26 has a very experienced and able bodied grandson, which he did
not mention.

        For a rookie, the Rhodes 22 is the way to go.  It is much safer,
easier to sail, and the best learning boat out there.  He will not kill
himself nor drown his wife.  It is a very forgiving sailboat.  It will not
give him a heart attach when his son solos.

       You will not find a sailboat less than 35 feet with IMF.  Also, the
Rhodes 22 can be launched and retrieved by a relatively inexperienced
sailor.  It can be trailered long distances without a big truck pulling it.

        As for sailing to off shore island in California, there is a Rhodes
22 owner who did so.  But he is no longer on the list.  Research would find
his name and he ought to be contacted.

        There is an important difference in a boat being trailerable and
moveable by trailer.  There is also a learning curve that you only get by
sailing.

        BTW, the seaward uses a daggerboard with ballast in the daggerboard.
Otherwise, I have been on a new one and it was beautiful.  Contact Stan
about putting IMF on such a boat, he needs new challanges.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA