[Rhodes22-list] Rik and Sailing the open ocean in a Rhodes

Richard Smith sailnut at att.net
Mon Feb 12 10:19:25 EST 2007

Because some one sailed a 15 foot boat from the US to Hawaii does not mean
that another larger boat could safely sail from the US to Bermuda.

1:  The Bermuda passage requires sailing in the Gulf Stream.  When a
northerly blows (it does frequently) conditions in the stream become
extremely hazardous for smaller vessels.  The passage to Hawaii on the other
hand is mostly down wind, imbedded for a time  in the Humboldt Current which
also flows south.  The guy's description on the Montgomery site experienced
mostly, some times largish, following seas but not the vicious chop that can
occur on the Bermuda passage.  He even slept so conditions must have been
relatively tranquil.

Just because the Montgomery is much smaller then a Rhodes does not mean its
not an able sea boat.  In fact with its low rig, split head sails and
relatively deep rounded bottom it may be a more suitable vessel for ocean
voyaging (one person only).

For what its worth... I have never read of a voyage by a small sailboat fro
Hawaii to the US.  Boats are generally shipped back to the US as deck cargo
rather then endless beating into the prevailing northerlies.

No one boat can be all things.  I owned a Rhodes and thought it was a great
boat but I would never use it for an ocean passage.

Richard Smith