[Rhodes22-list] Musings from the Marina OR Entry for theWorstnon-fiction writing award

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Feb 13 14:13:31 EST 2007

Robert,

Sorry I did not make myself clear.  I tried.

The link you provided is British.  Americans tried to make this verbiage
clear by leaving the apostrophe in front.  When you put the apostrophe
inside quotation marks and the mailing program converts it--you can't
understand the point of my comment.

Sadly, you couldn't understand the point of my comment without quotation
marks, either.

I got the joke.

Changing the spelling of words from spellings that make sense to
homonyms that don't adds idioms to the language.  People who never knew
the real origins of words then provide "glurge" to explain the new
spelling.  Because the glurge makes no sense, the word soon goes
entirely out of use, making the language one word poorer.

"I await your reply with abated breath." is a wonderful expression of
mock urgency.

Losing 'bated to baited is sad, and a loss for people who communicate
with words.

Bill Effros