[Rhodes22-list] Where's the oil.

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 07:51:19 EST 2007

Rummy,

Investing in individual new wells is not for the faint of heart.  I bought a
small piece of a gas well that was being drilled in south Texas two years
ago.  They hit a very productive pay zone at around 11,000 feet, right where
the 3D seismic said it would be.  Then during completion, they perforated
into the water zone and the whole $3 million well went kaput (including
yours truly hard earned money). I still watch the mature Illinois Basin
field for promising prospects.  Micro-drilling holds some promise of cutting
down well costs and there's still some hope for re-opening some previously
capped wells IF the price of oil stays high.  There was a provision in the
Energy Dept. bill passed two years ago to subsidize marginal wells starting
around $18 per barrel to slow down the capping rate when the cost of
electricity for lift exceeds the value of the oil.  No one really believes
we'll see oil that cheap anytime soon so the provision is meaningless.  What
would really help in the Illinois Basin and other mature fields is if
electricity was cheaper.  The cost of 3D seismic keeps falling but it is
still over $30,000 per acre.  You better be confident there's a prolific pay
zone before you call the seismic team.

Nukes anyone?  Hello?

Brad