[Rhodes22-list] Bottom Paint

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Feb 14 10:13:28 EST 2007

Bud,

I get 1 and a little bit left over.

I put it on fast, thick and sloppy.

The paint is ablative.  It's going to come off, anyhow.  There is no
need for 3 thin coats.  The water will smooth out the sloppy job you
have done.  All of your work is below the water line--it never shows.
When you pull your boat it will be as smooth and clean as any other boat
bottom painted with a good paint.

Repeat next year.  Buy another full can.  When you have used enough off
the top, pour the remainder of the old can into the new one.   Finally
you will get to a year when you don't need to buy another full can at all.

I use Pettitt Ultima SR.  It is an excellent bottom paint for the waters
my boat lives in.  I paint the bottom once a year, directly over the
prior coat--no sanding or anything else.  The boat comes out of the
water clean and ready.  The biocides have a green cast that is masked by
the pigment in the paint.  You may see a green cast before you start to
paint.  This is not something growing--don't worry about it.

Bill Effros