[Rhodes22-list] 27 foot crusiers (my thoughts)

Richard Smith sailnut at att.net
Thu Feb 15 11:29:30 EST 2007

In my judgment a 27 foot yacht represents the smallest size in which a
couple can cruise (near shore)  in reasonable comfort for a couple of weeks.

Outside of that usage I can't think of any particular reason to spend a lot
of money for the boat, maintence and dockage.  You always want the smallest
boat which will fill your requirements.

In mass produced boats the Catalina 27 is a legend and is supported a very
active group of owners.

The Cape Dory 27 is a wonderful full keel boat built to high standards but
affordable

In the non mass-produced boats the North Sea 27 is masterpiece of design and
function and can go just about anywhere in safety and reasonable comfort.
Albeit at a mind boggling price.

However, If you do not have access to a largish body of water a 27 foot
sailing cruiser is overkill!

Richard Smith