[Rhodes22-list] IMF "Reefing"

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Feb 17 10:51:09 EST 2007

Jim,

I think you must add the optimal heeling angle to your equations.

Since the R-22 is designed for 0 degree angle of heel, none of the
weight aloft matters to the angle of heel, whether a standard or an IMF
is deployed.

With a 175 Genny the boat has so much more sail than it needs that it
can always reach hull speed in 10 kts. of wind--the only significant
variable is the skill of the captain.

At 0-5 degrees of heel it is possible to bring the boat on plane.  As
the heel becomes greater I don't believe you can make the boat plane--at
least I've never heard of anyone doing it while heeled over.

Bill Effros