[Rhodes22-list] reefing

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Feb 17 11:41:35 EST 2007

JB,

Let Stan guide you on what to purchase for your budget.  Get a recycled
boat instead of a new.  Put every unique feature on the boat.  Stan will
give you full trade in value on a new boat should you ever want one.

Spend as much money as you possibly can on the boat--the features have
excellent resale value because they are unique--if you keep the boat
forever you will always be glad you got the features, and the price will
seem trivial.

Compared to a Rhodes-22 a 47' Benetau is like driving a Winnebago.  If
you had sailed 3 times on a Rhodes in the same conditions you would have
had an exhilarating ride all 3 times.  The Rhodes will sail in wind that
won't move the Beneteau.  You can do things with a tiller you can't do
with a wheel.  You can always feel the water around you.  It never feels
like some big machine that you can barely control.

I got a Rhodes because my wife hates to heel.  She loves the boat, and
is never afraid.  Learning to control the boat so it always sails
upright is an enjoyable skill.  Sailing upright past larger boats that
are heeled over is fun.

Bill Effros