[Rhodes22-list] reefing

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 17 09:57:58 EST 2007

Jay,

  I think i will jump in & push you a bit closer to the R-22.
  It was just this time a year ago I was looking for a boat....I discovered this list...I lurked for quite a while to get the 'lay of the land,' so to speak.

  I needed (as in have to or go nuts) to get a boat; I also need one that could be single-handed & had a HEAD.

  I'd sailed quite a bit, starting with a 22' water-ballast trailerable, to a 30' keel boat, to a 34' keel boat for cruising, but always as part of a team: worked the sheets, the main at the mast (reefing, etc.) & whatever else my captain asked me to do...

  I searched & searched the Internet while working the slow grey days here at the marina; I walked the brokerage & the docks looking what was out there; I spoke to the many accomplished sailors at this marina about boats, boats, more boats.

  I don't remember exactly how I found the R-22..it was probably a search for something with a furling main, as if I am out alone I didn't want to go up on deck...and a HEAD....on something I could sail alone in need be (I do prefer company...;^).

  I read everything I could about it; read everything on this list & a fair amount in the archives (thanks to Ed's frequent reminders!) and contacted SS in Edenton in early spring. We spoke several times via phone; I finally drove to Edenton in April of '06 (only 3 hrs...not a deal) and climbed over, under, around & through the new & soon-to-be-recycled boats, spent time with SS just talking...but he was sizing me up and determining what I needed in a boat. (Rose was doing therapy with hot choc & shoulder pats..long story..;^)

  I decided that this was probably the one for me; then serendipity stepped in in the shape of a local R-22....(there are two R-22's in the entire middle Chesapeake area....one right HERE at the marina)..(it was on the hard.,in the 'way back, so I never saw it).

  It was simple enough to contact the owner, he was kind enough to take me on a demo sail, and that was it. I contacted SS, told them they had a customer, & the hunt for my boat was on. (But Stan had already picked it...he knew he was getting this one in..)

  I will soon take delivery of my '92 ,recycled '06, R-22. It has been a 9 month process...(been there, too..!).

  My boat is an anomaly...it is only one of three (?) with a wheel rather than a tiller...I won't go again into the reasons I went this route, but it is right for me.

  The key to all this??? Take a demo sail, go to Edenton, stay at the Spitzer Hilton, take Rose & Stan to the Golden Corral (good food, BTW), and get on with it. You could be sailing this season!

  elle

JbTek <j.bulfer at jbtek.com> wrote:
  Ed,
I've only read about reefing. I've been sailing 3 times, 2 of those in very
light wind. What got me hooked was one of those times was on a 47' Beneteau
and they let me take the wheel just outside San Diego harbor. When we caught
a gust of wind you could just feel the power drive you forward. We heeled
over some & the wife got very nervous. I couldn't tell you if we were reefed
or not. I can tell you I see the benefits of IMF and I believe she will
insist on it.
I know the R22 has lots of features, I would want to know if you could
not have them all, which would take priority. The obvious from where I sit,
IMF & the swivel chairs look comfortable.

What does a sail weigh? I think Rummy said the mast only weighs 16lbs.

Jb