[Rhodes22-list] Other boat possibilities.

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Feb 19 13:49:07 EST 2007

To those who are choosing between an R22 and a larger boat:

Ed has covered many of the high points, and what I have to
offer is from a different perspective -- not in opposition,
but amplification.

When I was starting to ride motorcycles, I got a dirt bike
and campaigned all over the east coast in enduros.  An enduro
is a 70 to 100 mile cross country event -- thru the bushes,
over the rocks, across cranberry bogs, etc.  I used a small
bike (175 cc), compensated for horsepower with skill and
perseverance, and rode to finish, not win.

Why do I tell you this?

Because in many ways, the R22 is like that small enduro bike,
and sailing her also has some aspects in common with enduros.

My bike was small enough to be handy.  It rode on bumper
clips on the back of a sedan.  The R22 is small enough to be
towed behind a lot of SUVs.  In both cases, the ease of
transportation leads to a wider range of use.

My bike evolved over several years to become more capable.
Ultimately it was prepared to ford water up to the gas tank.
It could go almost anywhere and not leave me stranded.  The
R22 has had years to be molded into the most boat that can be
compressed into 22 feet.  It is versatile and reliable.  The
sharp corners are rounded off.

When, after several years of riding in the dirt, I decided to
get a street bike, my reflexes were honed to the point where
I could (and did) recover from life-threating situations on
the road with no scratches or broken bones - just a shaky
leg when it was all over.  I am convinced that riding in the
dirt has saved my life on the road several times.

Now I am retired from riding the really big and fast bikes,
but I still have a dirt bike in the shed.  Sailing a smaller
boat sharpens you up to the point where you might be able to
single-hand a big one -- but you will eventually go back to a
small boat for the sheer joy of feeling her dance with the
elements.

What about the amenities?  The R22 has the basics, without
the overhead of caring for a floating tour de force.  A review
of the archives reveals that the major maintenance issues are
bottom paint and keeping the centerboard and slot free of
hitchhikers.  She is not a high-maintenance lady.

Like every boat from a floating log to the Queen Mary, the R22
is a compromise.  But she is a particularly well-matured
compromise.  One would do well to sail in her for a year or so
to appreciate how well she can serve.

That brings us to the GB rental and recycle programs.  You can
put your toe in the water without committing to swim the
English Channel.  You don't have to buy a diamond ring to get
to know her.  Just take her out to dinner.

/Robert