[Rhodes22-list] Other boat possibilities.

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 11 00:01:26 EST 2007

Jay,
Any trailerable boat will be a compromise and there will be trade-offs
between quality, size, space, trailerability, seaworthiness and many other
aspects.  The Dana 24 (which is actually 27') and the Flicka (which is the
20' little sister) are awesome, solid, full keel, heavy displacement boats
that can take you anywhere, but they're not trailerable.  At least not
easily and certainly not with one person.  I can launch the R-22 and raise
and lower the mast by myself (and I do this because my wife isn't crazy
about this part of the experience).  The Catalinas and Hunters are larger
and have more room, but they are water ballast and inferior quality compared
with the R-22.  I've never seen a Seaward 26, but have heard and read good
things, although it is bigger so trailering might be a bit more involved.  I
looked at the Precision 23 - no IMF and no head, and the Compac 23 was OK,
but no headroom and no head and no IMF.  All in all, the Rhodes 22 is the
most user-friendly, safest, easiest to trailer and sail and it is also a
beautiful looking boat.  I've had mine for over five years and sailed it in
fresh water and now salt water and I'm not sure I will ever own another
sailboat.  My only qualifier is that I have not yet been out on the open
ocean with mine, just in Bays, Sounds and other semi-protected waters, but
there are others on the list that have.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Bob K