[Rhodes22-list] Raven 155.pdf

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Feb 26 23:29:16 EST 2007

Peter,

I agree with you with regard to Wally's comments.  I don't know anymore
if I ever responded directly to him.

My suggestion was a bit different.  Because the boat is sold mainly to
cruisers, and most of those who do race it, do so poorly, I suspect
everyone gets a high PHRF number to start with.  Furthermore, I suspect
that the race committees don't handicap the 175 properly, but since the
cruisers don't know how to use it anyhow, they fail to ever win with
what should certainly be a faster sail in some conditions.

The racers don't want to give up the extra 9 seconds, so they buy and
campaign 155s.  But what if they had both sails, and used one in some
conditions and the other in other conditions?  Could they win more races
total than they would if they raced the 155 all of the time?

But, no racer has a 175 designed for racing rather than cruising.  What
if we built a 175 racing sail?  What would it look like?  When should it
be used?  What would it cost?  Could it overcome the 9 second penalty?

If you drive down your PHRF (which I'm sure you will do) you might not
be willing to try this, but if you design and build a 175 racing sail,
and campaign it before you drive down your PHRF, that's like not having
a 9 second penalty on the lower PHRF you will soon have to race
against.  You should still be able win, because the 175 shouldn't drive
down your pre-penalty PHRF.  And if you don't win with the 175, you will
still have a high PHRF when you start to campaign your 155.

But if you do win with the 175, will the committee increase your 175
penalty or decrease the basis PHRF?  Either way, you've got the sail to
answer the decision they make.

I understand your visibility problems with the 175, but not the line
snagging problems.  There doesn't have to be very much wind at all to
keep the lines taut at all times.  I fully release the Genoa sheet very
late--always well after the boom has crossed the cockpit.  Prior to that
I remain in a fast hove-to attitude until all lines and sails are under
control.  I can heave-to at 3-4 kts before releasing the Genny, which at
that point has it's clew at 100%, just past the now windward forward
stay.  No line can snag on the windward side, and there is a lot of
pressure on the Genny on the leeward side, so nothing snags there,
either, when I release the sheet.  With one sheet in each hand, release
the one, pull in the other, wrap around the winch--when the timing is
right, no need to use a winch.  Fast and Clean.

To quote Stan: "Let the Wind Do The Work".

Bill Effros