[Rhodes22-list] Re: Mast Tabernacle Repair

Luis Guzman trpclman at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 19:18:36 EST 2007

Mary Lou,

I was actually unstepping the mast forward like I've done it before, but this time a couple of people got distracted and lost the hold on the mast.

Like I told Rummy, I was poking the holes left by the screws and the wood seemed to be soft. That is why I think there is a little bit of wood rot. I do not think that it is extensive, but I want to take care of it.

The boat was at the slip and the tide was high when the mast fell.  The mast went to starboard just enough to miss the bow pulpit. It hit the deck of the boat and then it went on to hit the dock. The pin holding  the fiurler at the top of the mast became loose and freed the furler. Otherwise the furler would have been bent. I surveyed everything, and the mast seems straight to me. The spreaders never hit anything and are OK. The cap on  the top of the mast (somebody help me here with the technical stuff) that has the pulleys for the halyards never hit anything either and is OK.

I just have to replace the anchor light, deck light, wind vane, and repair the screw hole for the tabernacle. I think I'll be back in the water by the weekend.

I will remember about keeping the sliding hatch closed.

Luis