[Rhodes22-list] Looking for Owners in New Jersey ?

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Jan 8 15:49:02 EST 2007

Dan,
As Peter suggests, you're going to need 5,000 pounds towing capacity.  Mine
is rated at 5,000 pounds.  Make sure to get a vehicle with a built in towing
package.  Most add on hitches don't include the transmission cooler, which
is really what you need.  As has been discussed on the list, the newer boats
tend to weigh more than the older boats.  I love my Grand Cherokee.  But I'm
a Jeep guy to begin with so I'm biased.  I have a single axle trailer.
Single vs. double is a matter of individual taste and desires.  Some prefer
the double as it rides better and will survive a flat.  Some prefer the
single as it's more maneuverable.  My state (VA) requires trailers that
carry over 3,000 pounds to have brakes on the trailer, but I don't have them
and they don't inspect for them.  I just drive real carefully as my vehicle
has to do all the braking.  But as has been suggested, if I get in an
accident without the brakes, I'll probably get cited for it.  But then I
only move my boat twice a year so it's a risk I take.  I towed my boat back
from St. Louis (across West Virginia) and got through the mountains OK, but
I maxed out at 60 mph.

- rob