[Rhodes22-list] Flat Tax Anyone?

Slim stevenalm at comcast.net
Fri Jan 12 15:35:22 EST 2007

This may come as a shock but I agree with Ed--sort of.  When someone works
hard, starts a business, creates jobs, successfully produces goods or
services and tows the line of the American Dream, the more successful he is
the more he is taxed.  It's to the point where he's expected to cough up
half his money.  Half!  Further, he doesn't have to be Uber-rich to reach
that tax bracket.  And that's just income tax.  It's a wonder any small
business can make it in Minnesota where the cost of doing biz is higher than
most.  In fact many small and large businesses are indeed pulling out and
setting up shop in Wisconsin--still high costs but not as high as MN.
People complain about tax breaks for the "rich" without considering their
tax burden in the first place.  Do we really need to put Willie Nelson
behind bars because of tax evasion?  He went bankrupt digging himself out.
After all, hooch (biz expense) is very expensive these days.  Should Willie
really owe the country millions of dollars or does the country owe him?  In
Ireland, for example, artists (in the broad sense of the word) pay no income
tax at all.  But I digress.

Couldn't we end all the bickering by changing to a flat tax for all?  At the
very least it would make for a much easier tax form and much less work for
accountants, auditors and the IRS which would save everyone mucho dinero.

Slim