[Rhodes22-list] Flat Tax Anyone?

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 22:10:56 EST 2007

Slim,

Shock!  That's an understatement, but welcome to the club anyway.  I did a
tax return for a Minnesota resident several years ago when I part-timed at a
CPA firm and was appalled at the state income tax rate.  It probably hasn't
changed much.  Now Minnesota has done some good things with the money, like
build a first class education system, but like all things dealing with
economics the law of diminishing returns eventually takes over. As I recall,
Willie didn't evade taxes, he had some bad financial advisers who put him in
some shady tax shelter schemes.  When the marginal rates get too high (over
90% at one time) people start to get creative, or they just quit producing.
The beauty of the flat tax is that the 'rich' still pay more.  You can give
some modest exemptions to low income earners to balance the 'fairness', but
you have to tread carefully there as well.  Playing social science games
with a flat tax will eventually create a code as complicated as the one we
have now. For an interesting study in tax evasion, google 'Vernie Kuglin'.
She was a former co-worker of mine now retired.   Vernie had some BIG ones!

Brad