[Rhodes22-list] Flat Tax Anyone?

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Fri Jan 12 18:56:20 EST 2007

Slim,

Are you sure the tax is 1/2 of gross, or is this what you've heard?   To cite
again from an article I just cited to Ed, the tax rate for the top 1%  (by
income) of families decreased from 44.4% in 1980 to 30.4% in 2004 (that was  the
period of the study.  Neither number is 1/2.   I can tell you  I've never
come close to paying 1/2 my gross in tax, have you?  Is a 50%  tax rate one of
those urban legends?  There are a helluva lot of  deductions you can take, ways
to defer income etc.

As for Willie Nelson, he's got no more right not to pay taxes than you or I
do.

Dave